The pathology section provides a wide range of procedures including:
- Gross examination of the surgical specimens
- Preparation of the received specimens and samples for examination
- Frozen section service (intra-operative diagnosis)
- Routine Stains
- Special Stains
- Immunoassays and tumor markers
- Different cytology sample’s preparation
- Microscopic examination of all received cases whether in house or referred from other centers.
Hematological Diagnosis Laboratory
The range of hematological tests available is board. They include blood cell count, Hb electrophoresis, coagulation tests, bone marrow examination, flowcytometry in addition to other tests.
Toxicology and drug monitoring laboratory
- Drug monitoring for antibiotics, antiepileptics, cardiac drugs, some analgesics, immunosuppressives, bronchodilators and psycho-active agents.
- Drugs of abuse
- Heavy metals
The microbiology (bacteriology) laboratory provides accurate and timely laboratory testing and diagnostic information. Services include:
- Bacterial, fungal and mycobacterial cultures
- Blood cultures
- Direct examinations as acid fast bacilli stain, Gram Staining, direct KOH & India Ink
- Bacterial antigen detection
- Routine antimicrobial susceptibility testing
The virology lab, established in 1994, prides to have been the first lab to document the laboratory diagnosis of dengue fever in the Kingdom in 1994 and also Al-Khurma fever virus in 1996 and rift valley fever virus in 2000.
The laboratory is equipped with:
- Biosafety cabinets class II.
- High speed centrifuges
- Inverted microscope
- CO2 Incubators
- Closed loop isolators
- Virus detection methods and facilities including cell culture, direct viral antigen detection, detection of anti-viral antibodies and detection of nucleic acid by molecular techniques (PCR).